- Can I Reverse Type 2 Diabetes?
Before we answer this question, let us first understand what is diabetes.
Diabetes is a lifelong condition that is associated with sugar or more specifically, the glucose in your blood and how your body handles it.
Most people with diabetes have type 2 of the disease.
There are over 30 million people in the United States who suffer from type 2 diabetes.
Another 90 million suffer from prediabetes – which means their blood glucose levels are not normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes type 2 or diabetes type 1 yet.
- So, What Causes It?
The pancreas produce a hormone called insulin. Insulin is what turns the glucose from food into energy.
This condition is called as insulin resistance.
So what happens is that the pancreas secretes more insulin, to try to get the glucose absorbed by the cells.
But since the cells cannot use the insulin, the sugar level in the blood builds up, and dangerously so, causing type 2 diabetes and type 1 diabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes Can Be Caused Because of a Variety of Reasons
- Genetics: It has been found by scientists that parts of DNA affect how the body makes insulin.
- Obesity: Obesity is one of the factors that cause insulin resistance. This especially the case if you carry a plenty of weight around the middle. In fact, childhood obesity is one of the biggest causes of Type 2 diabetes in children.
- Metabolic syndrome: Metabolic syndrome refers to a group of conditions such as high blood glucose, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglyceride levels that causes insulin resistance to build up, which causes diabetes 2.
How to Reverse Diabetes Type 2 Naturally?
- Can you do this? Yes, it is possible.
In fact, there are many who want to know how to reverse type 2 diabetes fast.
The answer to this question is: you can reverse type 2 diabetes through regular exercise and healthy living.
Making critical lifestyle changes is absolutely essential if you want to know how to reverse diabetes type 2.
Many sacrifices will have to be made when it comes to your diet.
Again, this depends on the specifics of your condition, how long you have had diabetes, how severe your condition is and your genes.
- How to Reverse Diabetes 2?
First, it’s important to understand what it means to reverse your diabetes.
Reversal means being able to go off medication, but remaining engaged in a healthy lifestyle program, so that the diabetes stays off, permanently.
This means shedding those extra pounds around the waist and keeping them off, controlling your blood sugar levels by eating the right kind of food.
- Reaching a healthier weight will naturally result in you having to take fewer medications, and if you are really successful in reversing diabetes, you won’t need the medications any longer.
First, you can begin by exercising at least 30 minutes a day, 6 times a week.
This could be something as simple as going for a quick walk in the morning.
In fact, if you have basically stayed inactive and not exercised for years, even the slightest exercise will make a huge difference to your body.
- Can you reverse your diabetes? What studies tell us?
In a study conducted recently, people with type 2 diabetes were asked to exercise for just 175 minutes a week, and limit their calorie intake to 1200 to 1800 calories a day.
They were given extensive counseling on lifestyle changes as well.
It was found that a year later, 10% were able to get off their diabetes medication completely to such an extent that their blood sugar level was pretty much under control and no longer under diabetic levels.
In fact, for those who were able to lose the most weight, the results were even more striking.
20% of them were able to completely stop taking diabetes medications.
- So, the answer the question how to reverse type 2 diabetes fast is regular exercise, a healthy lifestyle and sticking to your medications religiously.
Gradually, with time, you won’t need to take your medications any longer and can keep the diabetes permanently off by sticking to your exercise and diet program.
Is There Any Shortcut?